Thursday 13 July 2017

BDD special - All that is given is not lost, by - Mariya Khan

When I was in school, incurring an injury while playing was dreaded for fear of bleeding. When I was in school, action movies were ‘A’ certified because bloodshed was considered scary. When I was in school, injections were terrifying because they looked like they would hurt. Here I am now, all grown up. Everything from my childhood has changed but the essence of that fear still remains. I can ride a roller coaster for the thrill but I cannot get over my fear and insecurity. Fear of a prick and insecurity about a donation!
Blood – probably the cheapest resource for many but the most prized asset for few. Where one group can only dream of having enough of it, there are many others who don’t even realise the treasure within. It is possibly the only treasure in history which multiplies on donation. It stands true that life is priceless, but there are many fortunate ones who could afford that price for those who can’t.
When we talk of blood donation, is it just another “cool” day at work which would be added to your collection of selfies with fancy captions on the run? Well then, a fancy portrayal of a noble deed is “cool” enough only when done as a social responsibility. A social responsibility to realise the value of simply donating blood to someone in need of another chance to live, perhaps another chance to wake up beside their loved ones the next morning, another chance to dream, another chance at life. All that you give isn’t necessarily lost and all kinds of gold do not necessarily glitter.
As a child I always wanted to be a hero, I believe that I still have a chance of becoming one for somebody.



-Mariya Khan
MBA-HHM
2017-19 Batch

No comments:

Post a Comment